Black Bean & Vegetable Quesadilla
(Hunt Country Vineyards)
- 15 ozs black beans (1 can)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 tbsps oil for cooking
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1 cup swiss chard, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup kale, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 10 taco-sized tortillas
1. Drain the can of beans and rinse lightly. Place the beans in a large bowl and mash with potato smasher. Stir in the salsa and the corn (no need to thaw).
2. Saute the swiss chard, kale and onion in the oil until greens are wilted. Add the garlic, seasonings and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the vegetable mixture and the cilantro to the bean and corn mixture.
3. Spread tortillas shells out over the counter. Divide the bean mixture evenly over shells, spreading on one half. Sprinkle cheese on top of the bean mixture and fold them in half.
4. Heat a cast iron or heavy skillet and cook quesadillas on both sides over medium heat until brown and crispy and the cheesy filling has melted.
5. Serve with your favorite toppings.