I’m new to wine tasting and touring wine regions…what should I expect?
General tips for visiting the Keuka Lake Wine Trail:
- With 7 wineries surrounding Keuka Lake, it’s very feasible to visit all in one day. With an ever expanding selection wines,charming gift shops, on-the-water restaurants, awe-inspiring views and walking trails…it can also be enjoyable to stretch your visit over the course of a few days or more.
- A few wineries do not charge for tastings, the majority charge $2-5. (Though not expected, tipping the person whom conducts your tasting is always appreciated if you really enjoyed their service).
- Designating a driver is the most comfortable and safe way to enjoy your day of tasting wine.
- Winery hours vary by season. Check the Wine Trail website for current hours of operation.
- Water and light snacks are available to purchase in most tasting room shops.
- Summer weekends are a fun, busy time to visit tasting rooms. Some wineries have late afternoon music on Saturdays and Sundays. If you’re looking for a more intimate experience, we recommend visiting during the week or starting early on the weekends.
Where can I buy a Passport to free tasting and discounts?
We recommend you buy a passport directly from one of our tasting rooms. All 7 wineries sell our annual Passport for $12 + tax. If you prefer to purchase the Passport in advance so you may review accommodation discounts while planning your visit, Passports are for sale online too. The current passport is valid through 2013. Have your passport stamped in one weekend or stretch your saving out and plan multiple visits to use your coupons. Passports are valid for two individuals.
What are the area’s most popular wines?
The Keuka Lake Wine Trail offers the most diverse group of wineries of any destination in the Finger Lakes. Whether your taste is dry or sweet, fruity or austere, our vintages of Vinifera, Hybrid and Native wines are sure to please every palate. In additon to the Finger Lakes Regions’s exceptional cool-climate Rieslings, winemaker’s around Keuka Lake have received praises and points for other varietials and styles as well as red wines.
You will also discover Keuka Lake Wine Trail wineries are making red and white wines with grapes rare in the region as a whole, like Sereksiya Charni and Rkatizeli. Find what you enjoy.
Where can we eat lunch and dinner along the Keuka Lake Wine Trail?
See a list of restaurants along the Trail. There’s an enjoyable selection of eateries dotting the area from lake casual to white tablecloth. Many tasting rooms sell snacks to compliment your wine tasting and one winery has an on-site cafe open May through October.
What can I expect at a Keuka Lake Wine Trail signature event?
All events on the Keuka Lake Wine Trail are self-driven, self-guided tours around the lake to each of the seven member wineries. You must start at your designated winery. Usually you have the option to choose at the time you purchase your ticket, in some instances this may be assigned to you on your ticket. At your designated starting point, you receive a signature wine glass; some event include an additional favor. At each stop, you receive a specific food and wine pairing as well as additional wine tastings. Our goal is to increase your wine knowledge and understanding of why certain food are paired with specific style of wine. There is always something new to try and to learn.
Tickets are non-refundable! Your ticket will allow you to visit each winery once over the course of an event day/weekend.
Please contact us with any addition questions. We’re happy to help you make the most of your visit to the Keuka Lake Wine Trail.